How to: Staying Focused for Finals Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to: Staying Focused for Finals Week

Sophia Brener

Nearly 49% of American high school students feel a great amount of stress at school daily. It is very normal nowadays to feel overexerted, anxious, stressed, and depressed as a high school student. New techniques have been developed to help calm down these reckless feelings when studying for big upcoming tests, presentations, or quizzes. Being deprived of sleep is one of the most common causes of having a lack of focus and awareness in classes. This is usually from cramming in last minute studying or work at the end of the day, or insomnia from too much anxiety.

Time Management is extremely helpful to prevent “all-nighters” from happening. An easy way to do this is by making a planner and laying out all your events and when you have free time to do your work. Even though using a desk is most efficient, some people take advantage of every space such as the car when driving somewhere, while eating food sitting down, passing period, etc. Another way of adding in some relief in your life is adding meditation into your schedule. Being able to meditate during the first 15 minutes after waking up, or before you go to bed can help clear your mind and soul to help you think clearer.

Being able to change your thinking can be hard, but that is why someone would take baby steps. Going cold turkey on a habit never is efficient, instead slowly work towards your goal at a time. Make sure to create your own study guide as to when and what times you need to study for certain classes prior to finals week. This can help with organization and confidence in your work. Do not overwork yourself because that can lead to panic attacks and mental breakdowns. Make sure to give yourself breaks to have a resting period to bring yourself together. One of the best timings for breaks is 5 minutes after every 30 minutes of studying.