Earth’s Wonders

Ellie Glantz

Take advantage of the beautiful weather and look deeper into some of the wonders the Earth has to offer. One of those amazing natural enchantments are wetlands. The wetlands themselves are defined simply as, “areas where water covers the soil or is present either at or near the soil.” In result to this definition, there’s also an extreme fluctuation in animal biodiversity in relation to each individual wetland. Throughout the process of water accumulation, many marine species utilize these areas to establish their homes in order to breed their young, and create lives and habitats for themselves. This leaving wetlands as integral places for marine specials to thrive. Some devices that result in determining what type of marine species will establish homes in these certain wetlands are temperature, soil, plants, plankton, other marine specials.. etc.

One wetland that has drawn my attention is the Kerala backwater wetlands, these wetlands are a chain of many lagoons and lakes that lay next to each other across from the Arabian Sea coast to Southern India. These wetlands are specifically unique for it is the home to many beautiful and rare aquatic creatures. In addition is a major tourist attraction for India. An example of some of the rare creatures that inhibit the wetlands are mudskippers, a fish like substance with two large eyes that lives in swamps and basks in mud all day; crabs, frogs, water birds, and many others. The Kerala water system is also known for its fertility and fungi. One current event that has recently been a huge issue in the Kerala backwaters is flooding. Every year in the “rice bowl” (essentially where the floods occur) of Kerala, there has been a  “friendly” flood that has occurred for many generations. These floods help provide water to farmers, and a living space and hydration for many marine creatures in the wetlands. Although, these floods for many years have been regulated and helpful, recently the “friendly floods,” haven’t been so friendly. Throughout early 2000, the floods have been accumulating more water than anticipated until reaching the year 2008 when everything went overboard. A huge flood ran through and killed all living things in its path. Usually, as a result to repercussions of typical “friendly floods,” farmers have borders to cover their famers, but this year the flood water managed to go over the fence and rushed over into all of the farmers fields filling them up within minutes. This is just one of the many long term effects of something like climate change. Overall,  since then there have been potential bills in place in order to conserve these paddy fields and other dying elements in the backwater wetlands as a result of flooding. Leaving us with only hope that if we all work together than we can see change in this beautiful world.