Misogyny & What/Who in Social Media Is Doing About It

Gaby T

The difference between man and woman is trivial, known by everyone, but with the times changing and it being 2017 the quota and the line between man and woman isn’t clearly defined anymore. With many people who aren’t even in those two categories such as a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender. With this in mind and our country’s long history of prolonging women suffrage, underpay, harassment towards women, and lack of equal rights there is no doubt that censorship of the female nipple in the media and the public is another example of societies and the government’s continuous misogyny.

What is “Free the nipple”? Free the nipple is a global campaign for change advocating for equality, empowerment, and freedom of all human beings. This organization has become in just the past two years a premiere voice for gender equality, using all forms of modern media to get their message out, and raise awareness on various social issues and injustices. They believe that the time for change is now, and it has proven to be true.

Free the nipple the hash tag and movement is one of the fastest growing of our time, and it started from a feature film in 2013 titled “Free the Nipple”, which allowed founder Lina Esco and a small group of women into the effort to raise awareness, and today the movement is now impacting change in countries all across the world. In a email correspondence with Lina Esco herself, I found that this isn’t just about not being allowed to show your nipple in public but she personally got kicked off and deleted from the three major social media sites, (Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube). Lina then stated, “ the new mafia of social media platforms deleted/censored all my accounts for posting a teaser of my film, Free The Nipple featuring the most dangerous part of a woman’s breast — the areola. Free The Nipple is based on the real stories of all the heroic women on the front lines of this puritanical-cultural-warzone, starving in jails to end these obsolete American laws and its crazy that the media has the power to regulate what you can or cannot see”.

Following this I asked Lina why free the nipple? Why this specific controversy? And she replied with, “I came up with Free the nipple because it’s engaging and funny- it was the fuel we needed to start a serious dialogue about gender equality. The shaming of the female nipple is a direct reflection on how unevolved this puritanical country is. You can pay to see a women topless in rated R movies or you can see men on men shirtless in PG but the moment a woman owns her body it’s shameful and crass.” She then told me about her next move in her movement, “ We plan on gathering in Washington DC with hundreds of thousands of women to keep progress alive, and to confront a shared crisis with courage and determination. We will rise to reject the outcome of the last election cycle and gathering thousands of people is the clearest message we can deliver,” then she asked me to join her online movement and tune in for this demonstration that will take place before of President elect gets inaugurated. Though Lina’s FTN started off as a project film sent to a small New York film festival it has really grown into a movement for change and its globally affecting gender equality for the better.