The Rising Trend of Soulcycle

Hope H, TVT Trends Editor

Ever wanted to go to an indoor cycling center that would play upbeat music and is close to you. Then go to Soul cycle. Soul cycle was created in 2006 in New York. It was founded by Elizabeth Cutler and  Julie Rice. Soul cycle claims that each class can burn up to 700 calories. Right now they have created 66 studios, but in 2017 they are trying to create more studios but mainly one in Toronto, Canada. The Los Angeles Times described Soul Cycle as “the biggest indoor cycling chain in the U.S.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoulCycle)

According to the New York Times, “[Soul Cycle classes] offer mood lighting, a cadre of support staff to help you adjust your bike, custom playlists that match musical beats to choreographed cycling moves and charismatic instructors who pitch your workout as a path to self-improvement.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/upshot/soulcycle-you-say-cult-i-say-loyal-customer-base.html?_r=0)  When I had gone to Soul cycle for the first time it was very overwhelming because I didn’t know what I was doing or what I needed to bring. Thankfully my friends had come with me. There were 4 of us going and Nataly was the only one that had gone before. When we got there we had learned that someone who is 18 or over will have to go with us. We had solved that but if you would do the class make sure you have a towel, water, and if your hair is long a hair tie to put your hair up.

When I had gone to the class I had made sure I had water with me and that I had not eaten before the class because once I had eaten before the class and that had made that class extremely hard because I was not feeling well because of eating. Dependent on the different people’s classes is the skill level and the challenge level. Some people classes you go to will challenge different muscles. For an example, Joey would challenge you with the speed of the class and challenge with the distance, but Alexa would challenge different muscles that don’t usually get a challenge and it would be more enjoying the calmness and focusing on the muscles you are using. Maya A from 7th grade said” I hated it. It was so hard I had to lift up weights and pedal. It was torture. I was tried but I was proud that I had worked so hard.” 

The class was amazing we had a 10-minute warm up a 45-minute class, then a few stretches after. I had loved this class it was very hard and you need to pace yourself during the class because it could be extremely exhausting when you don’t pace yourself. Also, they will bring out weights. When you are there they will have gum, hair ties, deodorant, Showers with shampoo and condition, they also have face wash and hairspray. All of those are free because it comes with the price of the class.

When I had gone to the class I had made sure I had water with me and that I had not eaten before the class because once I had eaten before the class and that had made that class extremely hard because I was not feeling well because of eating. Dependent on the different people’s classes is the skill level and the challenge level. Some people classes you go to will challenge different muscles. For an example, Joey would challenge you with the speed of the class and challenge with the distance, but Alexa would challenge different muscles that don’t usually get a challenge and it would be more enjoying the calmness and focusing on the muscles you are using. https://www.soul-cycle.com/