Hate is Contagious and So is the Hitler Salute

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hitler’s greeting to the Nazi party was the Hitler Salute. This salute was the sign of compliance with Hitler’s belief in Aryan supremacy, and in 1930’s Germany the Hitler Salute stood for solidarity among the Nazi party. To this day in modern America, the Hitler salute has come to represent something equally as dangerous. In America, it represents white power, white supremacy, and the overall nasty message of hate to all minorities- exactly what Hitler and the Nazi Party stood for. A toxic environment of hate crimes have been on the rise for the past three years, and in 2019 there is no indication of a decrease.

I attend a Jewish day school, and today at school we had a soccer game. We played a soccer team and as the team entered my school gates, some students from the opposing team gave the Hitler Salute. Avalon high school lost the game and as the team boarded the bus some of the team members in unison, again.  This performance might have been an attempt to hurt, shame, and/ or demoralize our players, but whatever the intention was, it sets a dangerous precedent. This symbol of deep hatred gestured at our Jewish team contradicts sportsmanship on so many levels and engulfs the same mindset the Nazi party had during WWII, which was the of hatred to all minorities. The major irony is that this team of predominantly minorities was performing a gesture that symbolizes white supremacy. If the team which was predominately Hispanic wanted to formulate a gesture of solidarity they should have performed a Mexican Salute or used their young creative minds and developed their own unique team salute used to symbolize team unity not to symbolize hatred. They should know that the Hitler Salute is a hateful gesture, which is actually a crime in many countries. It is outlawed in three countries and considered an act of hate speech in many more.  The fact that the team performed this gesture can only indicate how uneducated students are to monumental events in our world’s history. If we expect history to not repeat itself we must enforce better education in our schools and among students everywhere. The bottom line is that the precedent that you can hate a group of people simply because of their religion is a dangerous precedent to establish and for that reason action needs to be made now. Our environment is being filled with a miasma of dangerous hateful energy, and although my young mind is still changing, I do know one thing, hate is contagious.