The Government Shutdown

Maxwell O. Berry, Writer

From December 22nd, 2018 till January 25th, 2019, the United States suffered the longest Shutdown in our country’s history. The shutdown was largely the result of a disagreement between the president, Donald Trump, and Congress, which recently became more Democrat meaning Congress’ majority party and the President now differ in political identity. The President was hoping that Congress would pass legislation to fund his agenda, namely funding for a border wall along the Southern Border of the United States. On January 25th the President agreed to support a bill that would temporarily reopen the government, yet he said if funding for the wall was not decided by February 15th he would shut down the government, name a state of emergency, and divert funding from the military to fund the wall.

The government shutdown affected over 800,000 government employees, and many of them were out of a job for the time being, while others worked with the promise of getting paid later on. It is estimated that over $3.6 billion was lost permanently as a direct result of the government shutdown. In the grand scheme of government spending, this may not seem like a huge number, however when you consider what that money could’ve been used for you truly understand the effects of the shutdown. The money could’ve been used to fund military, local authorities, or even welfare.

Another government shutdown would likely have the seem implications and could even be more devastating. Government workers would likely get dissatisfied with the government and they could act up against it through protest or strike, which in a shutdown, the United States would be ill-equipped to handle. It is important to see what will happen in the coming weeks in the higher levels of the United States government. Another shutdown does not seem unlikely thus Americans should behave under the thought that another shutdown is inevitable so they can be prepared. Although many of us do not directly feel the effects of the shutdown it is important to keep in mind that there are thousands or even millions who do.