Fascist ideals of the American left

Ava Ganz

Fascism as described by Merriam-Webster is “a political philosophy, movement, or regime…that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.” For all of history, fascism has defined itself as socialism with a national identity. The Nazi party was short for “national socialists.” Leftists often label the right political wing as fascist neo-Nazis, President Trump as the leader of such group. The irony and hypocrisy of this is inconceivable. This strategy is used by many leftists in order to justify violence against the opposition because their idea is that if they label right-winged people as Nazis, it’s more than okay to hit them, because they’re a Nazi of course. By doing this, they become the true fascists. Using violence against people who disagree with you politically is a golden rule of fascism.

Leftists see no issue with violent and hateful actions, but take up a big problem with “hate speech.” Right-wing and conservative speakers’ right to free speech is being shut down on college campuses all over the country. Ben Shapiro, for example, faced riots and a cost of $600,000 at UC Berkeley in order to keep him and his fans safe from these free-speech-haters. A less violent version of this event occurred at USC very recently, again with Ben Shapiro as the invited speaker. Ironically enough, the majority responsible for the damage is a group named the anti-fascists- ANTIFA. They are willing to do whatever it may take to silence unthreatening right-wing political speakers in what is supposed to be an educational environment, which facilitates intellectual discourse that challenges one another. Many independent media outlets, such as Fleecas, interviewed the upset college kids, who accused Shapiro of bigotry, racism, and sexism. No one was able to answer what he has said in particular against women or minorities. Instead, answers like “just everything” or “that’s what I’ve heard from my friends” were the most specific explanations given. These leftists promote one of the most fascist political strategies: shutting down free speech, all while screaming “NO TO FASCISTS!”

This sounds all too similar to Germany under Nazi rule. A government and society with no freedom of speech, use of violence against the opposition, and it even continues into book burning, only now it’s digital. Milo Yiannopoulos is a right wing author who signed with the publishing company Simon and Schuster. They made a deal for his book “Dangerous”, which Milo worked extremely hard on only to be notified that Simon and Schuster broke the contract due to complaints and threats received by leftists. Congratulations to the left on one step closer to fascism and one step further from freedom of speech, ideas, and thought.

Probably, the most dangerous ideal of the left is gun control. The first thing Nazis did in order to commit genocide against the Jews was take away their right to bare arms. This was also the case in the Armenian genocide. Without guns in the hands of citizens and only in the hands of the government, the citizens are helpless. Yet leftists still advocate for gun bans and big government. Big government is vital in a fascist government. The left wants to expand state control over the private sector in things like healthcare, banking, education, and energy.

There is a huge gap between what the left says and what they actually do. With all of this kept in mind, it’s easy to say that we should vote the RIGHT way this November.