Does Music therapy work?

Sophia Brener

Medicine is changing and improving every day. One of the newest and most innovative techniques that are used today is Music Therapy. Which has been an ongoing occurrence since the beginning of humanity?  Music therapy is the development of how music is able to connect people’s mind and health to feel more balanced. According to Michael Green, a contributor to the Charitable Foundation ‘Music Heals’, “when we look at the body of evidence that the arts contribute to our society, it’s absolutely astounding. Music Therapists are breaking down the walls of silence and affliction of autism, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease”. Additionally, music can be used to help send someone’s mind to a more peaceful state when in a difficult dilemma such as panic attacks, PTSD, or near to death situations. The reason music therapy is a highly regarded field is that it contains no health risks or toxic downsides to the “prescription” recommended. By this I mean, music therapists do not prescribe medication; instead, they work with the brain. Overall the history of music therapy is very well known due to the fact of the publicity its history has made.

Music has been used since the late 1700’s to help mankind deal with hardships and to better connect others. Some of the earliest writings about music therapy involve the “therapeutic value of music” which is mentioned in multiple medical dissertations. This is extremely important due to the fact that this topic was heavily studied and the discoveries made shaped modern day music therapy. There is a large movement in modern day society to replace prescription medication with natural sounds.

Depending on the type of music that is being heard either calming, rhythm and blues, rap, rock, or pop, the heart naturally ties into the rhythm and beat of the music. According to Eileen Klein, a psychological therapist, this can be beneficial for someone who is suffering from anxiety/panic attacks by allowing the person’s body to regulate the rhythm of a calming song by settling down the limbic brain. This can prevent adrenaline from rushing through the body. Not only does the heart change to the sound of music but so does brain function. The rhythm can help guide the body through deep slow breathing and calm movements.

In conclusion, music therapy is more beneficial to the body than traditional medicine because it allows functionality to be regained. Even though it is not a common form of therapy, it has some of the highest ranking effects. Throughout this process, it not only helps the mind but it improves how someone thinks, acts, speaks, and normally functions every day. Personally, I see this form of medicine having a huge impact on many more people in the future and hopefully, someday we can replace modern day medicine and pills with a form of art.