Ocean Pollution: How bad is it and Should you be worried?

One of the world’s biggest problems is pollution, and in the ocean, it is very alarming and people should start worrying. The amount of pollution in the ocean is unimaginable, “there is an island of garbage twice the size of Texas inside the Pacific Ocean: the North Pacific Gyre off the coast of California is the largest oceanic garbage site in the entire world. There, the number of floating plastic pieces outnumbers total marine life six to one in the immediate vicinity” (Conserve energy).

Most of the pollution in the ocean comes from activities on land, like beach activities, garbage trucks and more. Another major problem that falls in the pollution category is oil spills. “Oil spills cause huge damage to the marine environment – but in fact are responsible for only around 12% of the oil entering the seas each year. According to a
study by the US National Research Council, 36% of oil comes down drains and rivers as waste and runoff from cities and industry”(WWF panda). There have been many oil spills over the past 50 years from big ships, and once it happens it takes a very long time to clean up.

Pollution doesn’t affect humans as much as it affects animals: “over one million seabirds are killed by ocean pollution each year. Three hundred thousand dolphins and porpoises die each year as a result of becoming entangled in discarded fishing nets, among other items. One hundred thousand sea mammals are killed in the ocean by pollution each year” (conserve). The amount of deaths from pollution is unacceptable, so if you see any plastic on the floor, at the beach, pick it up and throw it in the trash.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/problems/pollution/

20 Surprising Facts About Ocean Pollution