How Meat Industries are Abusing Humans, Animals, and the Environment

Ava Ganz

Meat industries are extremely detrimental to our health and environment. We can put an end to the severe animal abuse, health issues, and destruction of the environment that these industries cause without having to end our consumption of animals.

Competition to provide inexpensive meat causes the industry to treat living animals as objects and commodities. These animals are enslaved for their entire lives in immensely confined and crowded cages in warehouses. They are then crammed into cages in trucks only to travel long distances to a cruel slaughterhouse. Once they arrive, the animals feel weak, starved, and dehydrated. It is even common for animals to get injured before arrival. Often times in the dairy industry, female cows are raped, have their babies taken away from them as they screech for their children, and they are forced to produce much more milk than they are naturally supposed to produce. Once they are worn out, they are taken to the slaughterhouse to be executed for meat. In these slaughterhouses, males undergo forced semen extraction while females are “artificially inseminated.” The majority of victims are given ear tags, nose rings, and branded as numbers, instead of a living breathing creature. They are castrated by a knife, rubber bands, or a clamp. In addition to all of this unbelievable torture, tails, horns, beaks, and teeth are cut off. To top it all off, these mutilations often occur without anesthesia. The animals are forcibly moved by handlers who have no problem beating them.

By cutting more meat out of a human diet, the risk of cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, kidney disease, and gallstones dramatically lower (Carson). Meat consumption has also been associated with Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, suicide, blood infection, and high blood pressure. Protein from animal products is also much too acidic for the human body. Most meat also contains growth hormones which can promote cancer.

Mass meat production is not only destructive towards animals and our bodies, but also to our environment. Animal agriculture consumes ⅓ of all fresh water, occupies 45% of lands earth, and causes 91% of amazon destruction. It is also the leading cause of species extinction, ocean “dead zones,” and habitat destruction. 70% of U.S. grain production is used to feed farm animals. The grains and soybeans fed to animals to produce the amount of meat consumed by the average American in one year could feed seven people for the same period, that means that world hunger could be greatly decreased by ending animal agriculture. Twenty-eight calories of fossil fuel are needed to produce 1 calorie of protein in beef. Two calories of fossil fuel are needed to produce 1 calorie of protein in soybeans. (Vegucated. Documentary. 2011.)

Animal agriculture also immensely increases the issue of pollution. 26% of earth’s total land mass is used for animal grazing (Rolling Stone). 87,000 pounds of fecal matter is produced from animals per second in the U.S. (Rolling Stone). 51% or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute.

The big meat industries of today are a humongous factor in the destruction towards animals, our health as humans, and our environment. We can put a stop to this and raise awareness about the problems surrounding the industries without having to go vegetarian or vegan.

Works Cited

Carlson, Royce. 15 Reasons to Stop Eating Meat. animalliberationfront.com

Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/belly-beast-meat-factory-farms-animal-activists

Vegucated. Documentary. 2011.