Harvey Weinstein: a Sexual Assaulter?

Rachel A

The 65 year-old, Hollywood Producer and one of the founders of MiraMax, Harvey Weinstein has been accused by many women in the Hollywood industry of sexual-misconduct. Many women in the Hollywood industry today continue to come forward and expose Harvey Weinstein as a sexual predator, as they explain their experiences of Weinstein sexually assaulting them during their time in the industry. Some of the experiences of the victims, includes him saying to multiple women that if they accepted his sexual advances, he would boost their careers (nytimes.com). Victims range from Angelina Jolie to Cara Delevingne (people.com). In addition, three women in the industry accused Harvey Weinstein of non-consensual sex (rape), but it is not known who these three women are (nytimes.com). And the stories go on.

Weinstein’s response to this turn out goes like this: “I came of age in the 60s and 70s, when all the rules about behavior and workplaces were different. That was the culture then. I have since learned it’s not an excuse- in the office or out of it. To anyone, I appreciate the way I behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it”  (Twitter.com).

His statement didn’t make a difference in the consequences he faced in the long run. After the allegations towards Weinstein surfaced, Weinstein was fired as co-chairman of his production company and resigned from the board of directors (vanityfair.com). In addition, Weinstein’s wife, Georgina Chapman, announced that she will be leaving him (Twitter.com). Also, the police departments of New York and London are investigating him for these claims of sexual-assault (nytimes.com). After all of these consequences take a toll in his life, Weinstein has made it public that he is seeking treatment in Arizona. All in all, this scandal has been blowing up for quite a while and now Weinstein is taking responsibility for his actions and paying for his mistakes (twitter.com).