Tragedy in Vegas

Rachel A.

By now it is public knowledge that there was a tragic major shooting by 64-year-old, Stephen Paddock, who opened fire on a country music festival in Las Vegas on Sunday, October 1 around 10pm. He did so from his hotel room window with his 47 firearms weapons that he brought with him, while he stayed on the 32nd floor of The Mandalay Bay Hotel. It was reported that twelve of his guns were rigged to act as automatic weapons, making the act even more heinous. This resulted in the death of 59 people and the injury of 515. In addition, as the police were converging on his room, Paddock took his own life. This has come to be known as the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S history. Surprisingly enough, Stephen Paddock had never had a criminal record. However, it has been reported that he gambled up to 1 million dollars a year and owned 47 guns- all of which had been legally purchased. His father was a con man and bank robber, who was on the FBI’s 10 most wanted Fugitives list from 1969 to 1977. As the FBI began looking into Paddock’s history, they have reported that he may have had a mental illness that went undiagnosed. However, Paddock’s brother, Eric Paddock, opposed any sort of idea that Stephen was emulating his father’s criminal tendencies.

As the police were looking into this tragic incident, they questioned those dearest and closest to him including his brother, Eric Paddock, and his girlfriend, Marilou Danley. At the time of the attack, Stephen Paddock sent Marilou Danley away to visit her family in the Philippines. Upon hearing of the news she returned to the United States to be questioned by law enforcement. Marilou supposedly had absolutely no idea of Paddock’s  plans for this attack. Additionally, Eric Paddock says that he had never seen this possible act coming from his brother, and was astonished when he had heard the news.

This tragic event had a huge impact on the areas within the vicinity of Nevada, including vigils being held for the victims of this mass shooting. The victims of this mass shooting ranged from about twenty years old and up, many of the festival-goers were couples. For example, it has been reported that a man was shielding his wife from a gunshot on their wedding anniversary. This portrays the reality of it all.

All in all the police came to the conclusion that this was in fact a planned attack. This was a day that will come to be remembered in the United States for generations to come as one of the deadliest in its history.