The Best Movies to Watch on Halloween Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isabella Shulman, Editor in Chief

Halloweentown

The Halloweentown series centers around Marnie Piper and her journey after finding out she comes from a family of witches. Although Halloweentown is a Disney Channel Original series, they are something all ages can enjoy (well at least the first three).

Twitches

Another Disney Channel Original Series, Twitches focuses on two long lost sisters who reunite and make the discovery they are both supernatural royalty. The movies feature real life sisters Tia and Tamera Mowry who are most famous for playing sisters in the popular 90s television program Sister, Sister.

Coraline

While Coraline is a film that was advertised towards kids, many parents admit being frightened by the movie. Coraline is based off the book of the same name by Neil Gaiman which tells the story of a young girl who finds a portal into what appears to be a better life, but she soon finds out that everything isn’t as it may seem.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas is considered an iconic mashup between two of America’s favorite holidays; Halloween and Christmas. The animated film was directed by Tim Burton who is a pioneer in the dark, quirky movie genre. The film has become something of a Disney favorite and always garners attention around this time of the year, it’s also one of those movies you never really get tired of re-watching.

The Craft

The Craft has become a cult classic in the horror movie genre because of it’s peculiar execution. The movie follows three girls with serious problems who use the supernatural to achieve their darkest desires. The Craft is one of those movies that slowly creeps up on you and then leaves you shaken for days.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice has become an iconic Halloween movie a part of Tim Burton’s repertoire. The film was released in the 80s and has remained a fan favorite. After Barbara and Adam die in a car accident, they return to their home where they have found a new family living inside. The begin to haunt the premises in an attempt to drive away the family and end up unleashing a chaotic, mischievous spirit by the name of Beetlejuice.

Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus is another Disney movie which centers around three witches who have come back to life on Halloween night to seek their revenge. The cast includes revered actresses Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy.

Scream

Scream has become a favorite in the horror movie genre because of it’s genius meta humor when it comes to killing off it’s characters. The characters all know common horror movie mistakes but yet make the same ones, which ultimately lead to their inevitable deaths.

Halloween

Halloween was Jamie Lee Curtis’s acting debut. The story follows killer Michael Meyers as he terrorizes a young Laurie Strode after escaping from a mental institution.

It

It is based off the novel by Stephen King and has become a popular movie in the horror genre. The movie has also recently undergone an incredibly successful remake which means now you have two It movies to watch this Halloween.

Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead is a horror-comedy created by Simon Pegg and is often called part of his (Simon Pegg’s) “holy trinity”. For those who want to watch an entertaining, light-hearted film this Halloween, Shaun of the Dead is perfect for you.

Zombieland

Zombieland is another horror comedy featuring an all star cast including Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Abigail Breslin, and Jesse Eisenberg. The movie follows a group of people as they try and navigate their way through California after the zombie apocalypse.

The Conjuring

The Conjuring is a horror movie inspired by true events. In 1970, two paranormal investigators examine the Perron family house on a secluded farm and horrifying events begin to occur.

The Exorcist 

The Exorcist is considered one of the most terrifying horror movies to have been conceived. The movie details the possession of a young girl and her subsequent exorcism. Although the movie has been known to make people faint and vomit upon watching.

Friday the 13th

In Friday the 13th some unwitting counselors make a summer camp in the woods where previous murders have occurred. They find themselves stalked by a killer and fatal events transpire. The film features classic horror movie tropes and has become iconic within the genre.

Final Girls

Final Girls stars Taissa Farmiga who is known for her fan favorite roles in American Horror Story. The film has been praised as an entertaining horror comedy with some real emotional depth. Although it was released in 2015 it flew under the radar of mainstream media but has recently grown a cult following.