All About Mother’s and Father’s Day!

Love your mom and dad so much? Well, if you do, show your parents how much you love them because Mother’s and Father’s Day are coming up fast!

Mother’s Day this year will be celebrated on Sunday, May 14th. Every year, Mother’s Day is most commonly observed the second Sunday in May, but the date varies in many parts of the world. “Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society”, says History.com.

Not only is it observed in the US, but countries around the whole world celebrate this holiday. For example, In Thailand, it is celebrated in August on the birthday of the current queen. Also, In Ethiopia, families gather each fall to sing songs and eat a large feast

This day is a time to appreciate mothers and mother figures for their part in the society and family. “Many people give gifts, cards, flowers, candy, a meal in a restaurant or other treats to their mother and mother figures, including grandmothers, great-grandmothers, stepmothers, and foster mothers”, says Timeanddate.com. Looking for gift ideas? Well, here are a few: flowers, chocolate, candy, clothing, jewelry and treats, such as a beauty treatment or trip to a spa.

At times, Mother’s Day has also been a date for launching political or feminist causes. “Mother’s Day has also become an increasingly important event for businesses in recent years. This is particularly true of restaurants and businesses manufacturing and selling cards and gift items.” TimeandDate.

You’re probably wondering about the fathers at this point. Well, now it is time to talk about Father’s Day.

Father’s Day will be celebrated on Sunday, June 18th this year. “Father’s Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society” says History.com.

Father’s Day was inaugurated in the United States in the early 20th century to complement Mother’s Day  in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting. The nation’s first Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in the state of Washington, after Mother’s Day was made an official nationwide holiday.

This day is celebrated on the third sunday of June every year in the US. “Many people send or give cards or gifts to their fathers. Common Father’s Day gifts include sports items or clothing, electronic gadgets, outdoor cooking supplies and tools for household maintenance”, says Timeanddate.com.

Father figures can include fathers, step-fathers, fathers-in-law, grandfathers and great-grandfathers and even other male relatives.
Remember to be nice to your parents on these special days!