What is Veganism?

Hope H, TVT Trends Editor

Every wondered what veganism? This article will help explain what veganism is, different types of vegans, types of vegetarians, the difference between vegans and vegetarians, and books and movies to help people get more knowledge about it. A vegan is someone that does not use or eat any animal products whatsoever. It’s a 100% plant-based diet.(http://www.myveganbelly.com/p/my-diet.html ) A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. They don’t eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish* or by-products of slaughter. (https://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=508 ) The difference is that vegans don’t eat or use any animal products, while vegetarians do not eat any living thing that was killed.

There are many different types of vegans and vegan diets.  Types of vegans are Ethical Vegan, Plant Based, Raw-Vegan, and Junk food Vegan. An Ethical Vegan is Is a person that is vegan because of the cause and don’t use any animal products or animal tested products. They don’t believe in the zoo and circus. A plant based Vegan is Someone who follows a strictly plant-based diet means that they found this lifestyle for health purposes. Sometimes an individual who follows a plant-based diet still may consume honey or fish oil, and may also wear leather or fur, or still use products that contain animal by-products. A Raw vegan is an individual who does not eat any animal by-products as well as anything cooked above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius).They live this way because they believe any foods cooked above this temperature have lost their enzymes and nutrients. A Junk Food Vegan is an individual who is usually driven to veganism for ethics, whether it be the animals or the environment. These people do not care what they are eating, as long as no animals were harmed in the process. There are tons of vegan treats and junk foods. Examples include Oreos, Twizzlers, white bread, soda pop, chips, fries, aunt Jemima pancake mix, certain chocolate frostings, faux cheese, faux meat, etc. Someone could be a vegan and never eat anything that resembles a plant. So yes, vegans can be unhealthy. (http://mindfullybliss.com/the-types-of-vegans/)

Just like there are different types of vegans, there are different types of vegan diets. A few types of Vegan diets are 801010, HCLF, The Low FODMAP diet, and The Paleo diet. (http://www.clairedicarlo.com/the-7-different-types-of-vegan-diets/ ) 801010 is a vegan diet where one gets 80% of their calories from carbs (fruits and veggies), 10% comes from healthy fats (avocados, nuts, etc), and the other 10% comes from protein (leafy greens). Most people who follow this diet usually have mono meals, which consists of having one type of food in large quantities. HCLF means High carb low fat. Individuals who follow a High Carb Low Fat diet do exactly as the title presumes. They eat high quantities of high-carb foods and try to eat little amounts of fats. They usually have 10 bananas in one smoothie, or 6 potatoes for dinner. (http://mindfullybliss.com/the-types-of-vegans/ ) An FODMAPs is an acronym (abbreviation) referring to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. These are complex names for a collection of molecules found in food, that can be poorly absorbed by some people. (www.shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet/ ) Paleo-vegan diet is eating a lot of lots of fruits and vegetables, sweet potatoes, oils like olive, coconut, and canola, nuts, and nut-like seeds. IN this diet you cannot have any artificial sugar the only sugar allowed in this diet is main sugar from fruits. (www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-paleo-diet/)

Unlike vegans, there are not very many different types of vegetarians. The different types are Lacto-ovo-vegetarian, Lacto-vegetarian, an Ovo-vegetarian. A Lacto-ovo-vegetarian Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet. Many Lacto-Ovo vegetarians will only eat free-range eggs. A Lacto-vegetarian eats dairy products but not eggs. An Ovo-vegetarian eats eggs but not dairy products. (https://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=508 )

These are different vegan and vegetarian diets, and the definition of both Vegans and Vegetarians. I am a vegetarian right now but I want to be a vegan someday because it is better for my health. There are many places to easily order Vegan and Vegetarian food. To help find places for those specific diets people can go to www.happycow.net. Happy cow helps find restaurants, bakeries, markets, etc. near the person for these diets.