USC Defeats Penn State Gaining #3 Rank in NCAA

Sophia S, Lions Den Editor

The Rose Bowl is a college football game held once a year at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, California. This year, it was held on January 2, 2017 and featured the USC Trojans against Penn State Nittany Lions. It was the 103rd Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual.

The two teams had gone up against each other in the Rose Bowl game twice before, the most recent being in 2009 where the Trojans defeated the Nittany Lions 38-24 and the first time in 1923, the first game played at the Rose Bowl Stadium, where USC won once again.

“This year’s Rose Bowl game was Penn State’s fourth appearance and USC’s 33rd Rose Bowl Game, the most appearance by an school in history” says Tournamentofroses.

“It started with an interception and ended with a field goal. And tears. And trophy kisses. And victory cigars in the USC locker room” says Pac-12. The USC Trojans defeated Penn State with a 52-49 victory. The game was a very exciting game to watch, with USC coming back in the fourth quarter with determination. From the first to third quarter, USC fans were disappointed with no hope their team could catch up. Penn State just kept on scoring points after points, gaining a substantial lead ahead of their rival and sending the Penn State supporters into a frenzy.

“It was like the energy was sapped from their sideline. But they were down and not out. The fourth quarter belonged to them” says Pac-12.

In the final two minutes of the game, Michael Hutchings made a huge tackle on third down who passed it to Ju Ju Smith-Schuster down the middle who passed it to Daniel Imatorbhebhe for another first down. Two pass interference penalties, and the Trojans were in scoring range says Pac-12. Deontay Burnett managed to make it down the middle and came down with the ball right at the goal line.

“I’m not going to call it a miracle,” senior offensive tackle Zach Banner said. “We earned everything we got. We earned getting here. We earned winning the game. We earned this.”

“These kids that I’ve had the honor to coach, they’re the definition of ‘Fight On,’” USC coach Clay Helton said. “Whether it was a season or this game, this game has just kind of signified what our whole season has been — about never quit, keep competing and good things will happen.”