Antisocial Media: Is It Changing Society?

Eliana R., Middle School Staff Writer

Social media sites such as Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat, and Facebook have changed the world and the way people communicate, but is it for better or for worse? Lately, social media has been so popular that people would often rather talk to their friends online than to talk to them face to face. People have many different opinions on this topic, whether they agree that it is affecting us in a good way or in a bad way. As someone who uses most of the social media apps, one might agree that they do make us less social in person, but on the Internet people can meet new people through online connections.

Facebook was the first online creation that begun the wave of social media. It was created by Mark Zuckerberg, in 2004 when he was 19 years old. Facebook is a great way to communicate with friends and show them what you’ve been up to. The social media forum has come a long way since then and has improved a lot. Now there is Facebook messenger, which provides the ability to message friends without anyone else seeing. Facebook has about 1.317 billion users active monthly and 829 million daily users.

The next big hit in social networking was Instagram. Instagram is all about showing your friends what you’re up to and just how artsy you are. Instagram was created in 2010 by Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom, both in their late 20s. Instagram rapidly gained popularity in less than a year, with over 100 million users. There are an average of 75 million daily Instagram users and an average of 200 million users active monthly.

Instagram also inspired a huge new company called Snapchat. Snapchat was created by Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy in 2011. Snapchat is a way to privately message your friends through pictures, lasting only a few seconds, without anyone seeing. Spiegel and Murphy were offered $3 billion for their company by Facebook before it was even popular, but made a gut move to keep it and see where it would take them. There are 100 million active users on Snapchat monthly and about 400 million snapchats sent each day.

A lot of people are now on social networks and are obsessing over what they should post or if they got enough likes. Now, people would rather comment on someone’s Instagram telling them that they are pretty than to tell them face to face. Not only does social media make us less social, but they are also very dangerous because of the many predators lurking in the shadows of the networks.

Social media has both pros and cons, but overall the most important thing to remember is to be careful and aware of who is online.

1 Comment

One Response to “Antisocial Media: Is It Changing Society?”

1. Rory Ismail on October 29th, 2014 12:34 pm

I sometimes wonder if social medias are changing this world for the world.

*